9.2.08

Magnifying God

From time to time you may hear the expression "to magnify God". Sometimes from preachers - sometimes in Christian songs. It's a phrase that can get on my nerves. I might be getting a bit semantic, but it seems to me that God is quite huge enough already - without magnification. I imagine someone trying to get planet earth in under a microscope.

However, recently i heard a different take on it. Sure, a microscope magnifies things, but so does a telescope. But in the case of the telescope, it's not so much making small things look big, it's more a case of making far away things resemble something closer to their actual size. After all, even planet earth looks small when viewed from other planets.

This analysis makes a lot of sense to me. Sometimes (unintentionally) God gets squished into the background of life. But just like the moon (which is actually sooo much bigger than our thumb) God is also much greater than we often perceive. I guess it just depends on our perspective.

No comments: